Occasionally I like to make a so-called fusion dish, for example, topping pizza with Pad Ga-Prao Gai (Pad Ga-Prao with Chicken), my husband loves this mixed version pizza.
I have had some pies with many different kinds and flavours of fillings before but not a Thai flavour one…in fact you could make any kind of pie filling..why not the one with a Thai flavour so here I came up the idea of making a pie with Thai Yellow curry filling.
1 large or 2 small Chicken breasts (boneless and skinless) cut into small chunks
1 large Potato, cut into small chunks
1 medium Cooking onion, cut into small chunks
1 small Zucchini, cut into small chunks
½ can (4 oz./can) Yellow curry paste (it’s adjustable, if you want stronger or less flavour or taste)
1 tbsp Potato or Corn starch
¼ - ½ tsp salt or fish sauce (it’s adjustable, depending on how much the curry paste you use the curry paste has sodium there)
½ tsp Sugar or palm sugar
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
1 - 1 ½ cup Coconut milk or 18 % table cream
2 cup Chicken stock (it could be more or less)
- Place a medium size pot or the size you comfortable with for fitting all the ingredients in, on a little bit higher than medium heat.
- Add oil until the oil is hot, add onion and curry paste, cook them until the fragrant filled in the air. Add chicken and potato, and follow with chicken stock (you don’t have to pour the chicken stock in all at once because the pie filling should not be very wet so it’s better to put some at a time when its simmering) and leave it simmer just before it’s becoming tender add coconut milk or cream and zucchini, and cook until potato tender.
- Add potato or corn starch (mix with 1 tbsp of chicken stock or cream) stir and mix all ingredient well until all combined in a thick curry texture. Remove from heat and set aside until it’s cool.
Ingredients for a 9” Pie Crust or 4 small pie crusts (make small pies you need double batch)
2 cup All purpose flour
¾ cup Cold Butter, cut into chunks
1 tbsp Shortening
6 tbsp Cold water
½ tsp Salt (skip salt if you use salted butter)
1 egg yolk for making egg wash (mix with a little water)
- Preheat oven to 425F or 220C
- Mix butter, shortening, salt and flour in a food processor.
- Add water a tbsp or two at a time until finish all and dough is formed.
- Wrap in plastic bag or sheet and set in the fridge for 1 hour or more you can make the pie dough many days ahead store it in the fridge.
- Divide (with a knife) the dough into two if you make a 9” pie. Roll out and flatten the dough larger than the pie pan. Place one in the pie pan.
- Pour the curry into pie shall. Cover with the top crust; trim top and bottom edges, leaving a 1- inch overhang, seal to secure.
- Brush the egg wash on the pie.
- Bake in the preheat oven for 15 minutes and reduce the heat to 375F or 180C cook for another 30 minutes or until brown.